Monday, October 22, 2007

Under fire!!

As you might have heard, fires are raging in SoCal. There was a mandatory evacuation ordered by the county officials yesterday evening. So when I woke up this morning and switched on the news, I heard that firefighters spent a lot of time and effort rescuing residents who refused to evacuate, instead of actually fighting the fire.
I instantly hated those residents for making things worse for the rest of the junta. But after I had a few minutes to digest that information, I started thinking differently. It’s not always possible to think about the greater good. In fact, let me rephrase that – it’s seldom possible to think about the greater good. The instinctive animal reaction to any situation is self preservation. And now when events involve an object of tremendous emotional investment, it’s harder to let go and let logic pervade. So last night, when people stayed back at home, they were probably clinging on to that last thread of hope, that perhaps they'd be able to stop the inevitable!!

Anyways, there isn’t any point to the above post. I’m just terribly depressed over the turn of events. A lot of houses have been destroyed. Hopefully the loss of life can be minimized.

No comments: